What is i-Size?
i-Size is a new legislation which increases the safety level for children in cars and will make longer rearward facing and the use of Isofix a new European standard. It will be enforced by June 2013, while the current standard ECER44/04 will remain in effect for all belt installed child seats.
What will change?
This legislation makes rearward facing travelling mandatory up to 15 months old for IsoFix car seats. The standard ensures a better protection at higher forces in the case of frontal and side collisions and a better protection of head and neck. I-Size also moves to a length classification for choosing the right car seat instead of weight. To reduce the chances of incorrect installation i-Size demands the use of IsoFix.
Why do we need new rules on car seat safety?
1) Child safety has been evolving over time
Number of child fatalities decreases*
But: car accidents are still the leading cause of child deaths
• In Europe each week 10 children are killed on the road and
• Around 1150 children are injured
* Source: WHO (2007), EEVC Working Group 18 Report Child Safety (Feb. 2006). Research in 12 European Countries & Poland, Turkey, Czech Republic, children age 14 and younger (2003)
2) But…significant safety improvements are possible
-> Too many parents are not using car seats properly
Many parents move the baby to the next car seat at around 9 months, because:
• Too heavy to carry in group 0+
• Feet stick out of the seat shell
• The current law accepts 9 kg for group 1
=> This is not the safest way of travelling!
Isofix significantly reduces installation misuse
27% of parents are using and installing their car seat incorrect with significant safety faults*.
* Source: www.protectchildgb.org.uk
-> The head and neck are the most vulnerable during a crash
The baby’s neck is not yet developed enough to support the relatively heavy head
-> Conclusion: It is safer to travel rearward facing longer & to use Isofix
I-Size is a new EU standard for increased safety
i-Size in 5-points:
1. Improved protection at higher forces for side & front impact and a much better protection of head & neck
2. Rearward facing travelling mandatory up to 15 months old
3. i-Size also promotes Isofix, which has less chance of being incorrectly used than belted car seats
4. All i-Size cars will fit all Isofix and i-Size car seats
5. Length classification for easier choosing the right car seat, similar like clothing sizes
I-Size regulation will be effective from summer 2013
Dorel’s involvement on the i-Size legislation:
• Improve the compatibility between car seats and cars with the support leg
• New protocol for side impact testing
• Supporting all regulating organizations (GRSP, CLEPA)
• Measuring and defining new sizing classification (3D child project)
I-size will be en forced in Europe in Summer 2013. If you would like to be informed about this new regulation, the timing and our new car seats who will be I-size ready, please contact our National Distributors.
The new i-Size regulation does not replace the current regulation, nor will it lead to the replacement of any car seat available. There is no need nor obligation for consumers to replace their current car seat for an i-Size car seat. All available Maxi-Cosi / Bebe Confort Car seats comply to the highest safety standards and remain available.
With the introduction of i-Size, consumers will be given an extra option (that complies to the new safey standard) to choose from when buying a car seat for their baby/toddler.